South Residence Halls
Thomas Beckham Hall (TBH)
Thomas Beckham Hall (TBH), the second of the two student apartment buildings on the south side of campus, opened in August 2003. It is the larger companion to Marie Robinson Hall (MRH), built in the same style but housing 450 upperclassmen students. All students have individual bedrooms in attractive apartments with living rooms, kitchen and bathrooms. TBH also has extensive lounge and study rooms, a computer lab, TV lounge and laundry rooms. A Faculty in Residence and Campus Housing staff members reside in TBH. TBH was named after Thomas Beckham, who was the dean of the College of Associated Health Professions in 1982 when UIC was formed by the merger of the medical center and undergraduate campuses. His recommendations led to the construction of the Student Residence & Commons, greatly expanding the on-campus residence population. He retired in 1993 and passed away three years later at the age of 60.
- Nije Lane
- Resident Director
- (312) 355-6009
- Rob Kemp
- Faculty in Residence
Building & Mailing Address
Thomas Beckham Hall (Room #, including letter)
1250 S. Halsted St.
Chicago, IL 60607
Find us on Facebook at UICTBH
Each residence hall includes:
- Air conditioning and heat
- Free laundry for residents
- Kitchenettes and vending machines
- Computer lab
- Lounges and common areas
- Walking distance to cafeterias and recreational facilities
Each residence hall bedroom includes:
- Extra-long twin bed, desk and chair, clothes closet and storage drawers
- Telephone jack, cable TV connection and high-speed internet connection (including wireless)—additional fees may apply
TBH apartments also include:
- Kitchen – Refrigerator, microwave, stove/oven
- Dining/Living Room – Dining table and chairs, couch, two living room chairs, coffee table
For information on what to bring with you when you move in, please read Move-In Days.
Entrepreneurship Special Interest Area
The 4th floor of TBH is home to the Entrepreneurship Special Interest Area.
Photographs of TBH
Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.
Typical Room Setups & Hall Floor Plan
- Download printable TBH & MRH 4-Person Apartment Floor Plan (PDF)
- Download printable TBH & MRH 2-Person Apartment Floor Plan (PDF)
- Download printable TBH & MRH Studio Apartment Floor Plan (PDF)
Take a Video Tour of TBH
Can’t see this video? Click here to watch it on YouTube!